The Best Darts Available on the Market
Darts is one of the most popular type of social sports there is. The basics of the game is players taking it in turns to score points by throwing small missiles (darts) at a circular board (dart board). Dart boards are divided into various sections and the value of each section are displayed accordingly.
You become a great darts player first and foremost by having a the best set of darts in your hand. When starting out beginners often start with bar darts and soon upgrade their set of darts to more often than not one of the brands reviewed below.
Centaur 6 Pack Steel Tip
King Cobra Strikes Darts
Bottelsen Hammer Head Steel Tip
Target Darts Carrera Titanium Soft Tips
Bottelsen GT III 90% Tungsten Soft Tip
Black Widow Soft Tip Tungsten Darts
Elkadart Razor 80% Tungsten Steel Tip Darts
Redesigned Black Mamba Strikes Darts
Viper Sure Grip Soft Tip Darts
Fat Cat Bulletz 90% Tungsten Steel Tip Darts
If you also want to improve your performance by using high-quality darts, then you’re in the right place, our experts have put together the following guide to help you when it comes to buying the best darts to improve your game. This post will give you a complete insight in to what to consider when buying a new set of darts, whether you’re new to the sport looking to buy your first set or if you’re a darts veteran and already know your flights from your barrel.
To provide a comprehensive review of the best darts on the market we start by looking at the components of a set of darts and then review a number of leading brands and products in detail below.
How to Find the Best Darts
Various types of darts are available in the market. Of course, only you can decide which darts suit your style most, but a few things can help you when it comes to finding the best set to improve your game. Selecting the best set often depends on how you play darts. Both beginners and experts, require different types of darts and it can be tough to decide which darts are the best for you because multiple brands are producing the darts used by professional players. We hope this in depth guide will solve a lot of the questions or quires you may have and lead you towards what you actually need.
The weight of darts, grips and price are three very important considerations to make before buying darts and our shortlist of the best darts below cover these three factors in detail so you can find the perfect set for your game no matter your throwing style or budget.
What Type of Darts Are Best For You?
You will find two main types of darts available when starting your search, these are:
Steel Tip Darts
Steel tip darts work the best on bristle or sisal fiber dartboards. These darts are be available with both movable and fixed points offering you flexibility and customization. If you’re slightly worried about where you play, you should avoid using steel tip darts if you have kids at home and are unable to create a closed off space to safely play darts as these sharp and unyielding darts can be very harmful if young children somehow get hold of them.
Many dart manufacturers produce steel tip darts with fixed tips. However, using the steel tip dart with movable points would be the best on hard surface boards. Steel tip darts do not bounce-out meaning when the tip strikes with a wire or prevent the board penetration they stick. A number of the best steel tip darts are reviewed in this post below and you can find this type of dart with movable tips to buy immediately if you’re looking to get playing quickly.
Soft Tip Darts
As is clear from the name soft tip darts come with soft tips made from a plastic or nylon rounded point. The tips of these darts are not sharp enough to cause any serious damage so are a great alternative for dart players with kids. These darts are not built for penetrating the boards as their steel counterparts do and are the best to strike on electronic or some bristle dartboards.
The soft tip darts can have two different width measurements depending on the size of the dart barrel. We have reviewed some of the top rated soft tip darts for you so buying the best soft tip darts is easier than ever!
Both steel tip darts and soft tip darts are the two most popular types of darts with almost all professional dart players using either one of these two types of darts in competitions.This means you should also stick to one of these two dart types if you’re looking to improve your performance.
Other Components to Consider When Buying Darts
Weight of the Darts
Weight is the most important factor to consider when buying new darts with the normal weight of steel tip darts lying between 18 to 32 grams. Lighter darts are often preferred by those who know how to maintain the balance while throwing darts with more force. On the other hand you do not need to apply extra power when throwing heavier darts and if you’re new to the game we recommend buying darts of around 20 to 25 grams in weight. These are great if you’re a beginner and want learn how to hit the target without missing a chance or becoming frustrated with failing to connect with the board properly
You should not forget about balance when considering the weight of darts. Many dart manufacturers distribute the weight in different components of the barrel with some brands providing darts that place most of their weight towards the front side and some designing back-loaded darts. Choosing between front-loaded or back-loaded barrel darts ultimately depends on personally preference and what most suits your unique throwing style. Always consider how you hold the darts and how you throw to pick the best from the reviewed list of darts.
Soft tip darts can be available in 14g, 16g, 18g and 20 gram weight classes. These darts are often a great choice for beginners because only professionals use soft tip darts that weigh up to 25 grams.
Different Types of Grips
You only need to take a few throws to recognize the best grip to suit your hold. Check a few grips given below to recognize the dart grip most suited to your playing style:
- A dart with a shorter or stocky barrel would be the best for you if your grip is the three point grip. The front-loaded dart should also be considered.
- The pencil style grip is the best for throwing the darts with cylindrical barrels.
- The scallop would be the best for you if you grip the dart from the back.
- The light grip is ideal for throwing narrow barrel darts.
- The ghost grip or light knurling grip is suited to players who have naturally dry hands.
- You should search for the darts with large barrels if you have large hands.
You can grip a marker pen or a pencil to recognize the best grip and then choose the dart grip accordingly.
Different Kinds of Flights
Finding what type of flight is most suitable for your darts can sometimes be tricky to recognize. Every dart consists of small fins at the tail-end and these fins are called flights with different dart manufacturers developing various flight styles.
However, most of the top rated dart players often stick to six main types of flights, these are Kite, Standard, Teardrop, Slim, Lantern, and the number six.
A great way to choose your flights is to once again consider your dart throwing style. Flights can affect the speed and angle at which you throw the dart so are hugely important and beginners should also take some time to recognize the best type of flight for them as it can have a huge impact on overall performance.
Many different materials are used to prepare dart shafts. Plastic or nylon shafts are the best for beginners and are often the most mass produced making them perfect for new comers to the world of darts.
You can also find dart shafts made of aluminum, resin, carbon composite material and carbon fiber if you’re an intermediate to advanced player. If you’re new to the sport it might be a good idea to use plastic shaft comprising darts when learning the game and then switching to carbon-fiber or aluminum shaft darts when you have had some practice and feel familiar in your throwing style.
The plastic or nylon shafts are prone to breakage and accidents may occur during the learning days so these cheaper alternatives are great if you’re looking to start without spending to much on your first set.
Which Brand of Darts is the Best?
It is difficult to pick out just one brand of darts above the rest. Many companies are producing darts, dartboards and other materials related to the game and all are specialists in their own way. Many claim to offer the best dart which is of course no surprise however, you can shortlist the best brands by evaluating their darts – which as you don’t want to purchase more than one set yourself we have done for you already!
By evaluating all the factors mentioned in this guide we have looked at brands producing both plastic or soft tip darts as well as those that manufacture steel tip darts. You should first consider the type of dart you want and then look for the brands online which we hope you have done since you’ve made it this far in to the guide.
It should not be assumed that the more expensive the set of darts the more likely they will be to improve your game. As already expressed throughout this guide, finding the right set of darts for you has a lot to do with your unique style and throwing balance/speed.
However that isn’t to say you shouldn’t invest in a high quality set of darts if you want to start to take the sport seriously. The cost of the dart is decided by considering its type, material, grip and brand. We don’t recommend beginners invest large amounts in a first set of darts, instead use cost-effective darts to learn how to play and if you like the game enough you can always upgrade. Soon, you will recognize the best grip, type, weight and shaft for your style and then you can invest in a more expensive set.
Not every darts buff wants to take part in competitions. You may be one of those individuals who want to buy the darts merely to improve at your chosen hobby or for learning the game.
We have reviewed the best darts available this year. These are the best for both professionals and beginners meaning if you wish to improve your game then carefully check the best dart reviews below and you will find the darts with the appropriate grip, weight and flight style for you.
Best Darts Comparison 2017
There would be a long list of darts if you start aimlessly searching online. We have made it easier for you by comparing the top ten best darts and breaking them down below, highlighting both their pros and cons so you can find the perfect set for you.
1. Centaur 6 Pack Steel Tip Darts
Renowned for offering an exceptional balance and styling, the Centaur 6 pack steel tip darts comes with top quality steel barrels that are perfect for players of all abilities. A huge bonus with this set is that you get six darts and each dart weighs in at only 20 grams. These darts also have strong 2BA aluminum dart shafts that provide them with incredible durability.
- You get poly pro dart flights with these darts. These flights are designed specially to offer the player with better speed and decrease the drag. The flights look impressive due to their laser effects.
- These are heavy darts and therefore you get better stability and the chances of hitting the target increase.
- The Centaur Darts are designed for professionals, who want to perform better in the competitions. However, newbie darts players may not find these darts effective.
2. King Cobra Strikes Darts
The unique brass pro grip barrel offers a charming and snake skin like feel to the King Cobra Strikes Darts. These darts come with a sleek design and the grip is perfect for entry level players who want to improve their performance.
- These darts provide you with the brass knurled snake grip rings for better control and exceptional accuracy during each throw.
- Chances of hitting your target are increased when you hold 24 gram strike darts
- These steel tip darts offer impressive balance with 48mm aluminum shafts and thick heavy duty PET flights.
- The King Cobra Strikes Darts are designed for both professional and entry level players.
- These darts have robust brass metal barrels, aluminum shafts, steel tip and PET flight. Each dart weighs-in 24 grams, which means better balance and no extra power needed to hit the target.
- The shaft may get squeezed as you insert the flight and the manufacturer is trying to fix this issue.
3. Bottelsen Hammer Head Steel Tip Darts
The Bottelsen HammerHead Steel Tip darts have grown in popularity due to their tungsten barrels and heavy weight. The manufacturer has used tungsten to produce these darts because they wanted to provide the users with slimmer and sleeker darts.
- 95% virgin tungsten is used to produce the barrels and that’s how these darts gain better balance.
- You buy these darts with coarse, smooth and edge knurling grip that increases the chances of impressive performance in competitions.
- These steel tip darts weigh 23 grams and the tungsten steel barrel offer an effective balance during each throw.
- You can get two set flights with the aluminum shafts.
- The Bottlesen HammerHead steel tip darts have received top ratings from all buyers. Even professionals have praised the features and durability of these darts making a down point hard to come by!
4. Target Darts Carrera Titanium Black Soft Tip Darts
These darts offer professional grip shafts along with vision flights. The manufacturer is offering a lifetime barrels guarantee with these darts that also have axial and radial milled cuts making them very special. The Carrera Titanium darts also offer a unique grip because the barrels comprise both horizontal and vertical cuts meaning you can grip each dart effectively before throwing. These unique cuts also prevent the tear and wear meaning these are a long last set of darts.
- These darts are equipped with Bi-directional grips, which are common in the soft tip darts. This grip improves the strength with each throw.
- The flights spin as you throw the dart towards the target. The impressive looks and perfectly engineered flights improve your capability of hitting the target with each throw.
- These are soft tip darts, which weigh only 18 grams. These are quite light and therefore not suitable for the entry level player.
5. Bottelsen GT III Soft Tip Darts
The manufacturer has used 90% tungsten to produce the Bottelsen GT III soft tip darts a huge advantage to players used to playing with darts of this type in the past. These darts are only 2” long and offer a smooth cut grip great for aiding an accurate throw. These darts also come in a metal case when you buy online, perfect for storing and transporting your new darts.
- You will always strike the target if you are a skilled thrower because Bottelsen GT III comes with a well balanced design. Unlike many other soft tip darts, the GT III darts do not bounce back from the dartboard due to exceptional balance.
- You get these darts in impressive “Croc” case that improves the charm of GT III darts. Every competitor and spectator will turn towards you, when you will walk in with the deluxe “Croc” case.
- The shafts have O-rings along with GT brand screw. Therefore, the shafts look pretty cool and improve the overall appeal of the darts.
- The flights may come off if you throw these darts carelessly. There is no other downside of impressive GT III.
6. Black Widow Soft Tip Tungsten Darts
Black Widow is a renowned brand in the market and it has got fame for its steel tip darts. The Black Widow soft tip darts also offer impressive performance as their steel counterparts. Prepared from tungsten metal and therefore these darts are robust and durable. The manufacturer has built it to provide a durable choice in the soft tip darts, which is quite rare to find in the market.
- The Black Widow soft tip darts come with powerful spider leg shafts.
- These darts have an innovative barrel and black oxide coated tip that increases the friction on the dartboard.
- It is capable of improving your performance exactly like the steel tip darts do.
- These darts are more expensive than other soft tip darts available in the market.
7. Elkadart Razor Steel Tip Darts
The Elkdart Razor darts offer exceptional balance with their slim and stylish design. These steel tip darts are prepared from 80% tungsten and 20% nickel. The barrel is equipped with deliberately crafted knurled bands, rings and deep grooves that together offer a perfect grip during each throw.
- Slim and impressive design with outstanding balance.
- These darts have knurled bands along with rings and deep grooves for a better grip.
- Consistent hand placement.
- Floaty aluminum shafts have locking holes. The requirement of retighten reduces with these holes.
- Equipped with high-quality flights that reduce the drag, improve the speed and help you in hitting the target with each throw with perfect accuracy.
- You get a hard-shell case to store and protect the darts.
- These darts are designed, assembled, and manufactured in England.
- These are heavy darts that weight 21-25grams. Not available as a lightweight darts.
8. New Redesigned Black Mamba Strikes Darts
When it comes to choosing the most impressive darts, the new redesigned Black Mamba Strikes Darts is the first choice of many people. These darts come with eye-catching black coated barrels and you get metal pro grip with each dart, helping you to perform better.
- Ergonomic design that helps you in hitting the target every time you throw the darts. These darts offer impressive grip to control the dart and hit the bull’s eye.
- Scientifically crafted knurled grip ring offers an exceptional grip for better handling. Many professional players have used these darts in the competitions and got impressed with the balance and control provided by these darts.
- These 22g fixed tip darts will force you to leave the old darts in the storeroom.
- The dart size is suitable for those, who have large hands. People with small hands may like to use smaller darts.
9. Viper Sure Grip Soft Tip Darts
Providing outstanding balance and styling with nickel silver plated barrels, the Viper Sure Grip soft tip darts can become your first choice. Every barrel on these darts offer tactically installed grooves below the rubberized barrel sleeves. Consequently, the user gets some gripping points to hold and throw the darts.
- Nickel silver plated barrels with rubberized gripping for better balance and control.
- Providing a tighter fitting with diamond-cut aluminum shafts that comprise the locking holes. You will not retighten the shafts during the play and take your shot quickly.
- These darts are equipped with top-quality flights that provide the darts with better speed, balance and reduce the drag in the air.
- These darts are not for the entry level players as they may not be able to hit the dartboard with every throw.
10. Fat Cat Bulletz Steel Tip Darts
The Fat Cat Bulletz steel tip darts offer robust barrels, prepared from tungsten and nickel. Of course, the balance would be exceptional with slim and stylish looks of the darts.
- Strategically placed knurled bands, rings and grooved for better grip points.
- Lighter convex nylon shafts offer tighter fitting and reduce the demands of retightening the shafts.
- You get an extra set of nylon shafts, wrenches and flights.
- Each dart weighs 23grams.
- You get these darts in a stylish and hard-shell case.
- There may be some issues with the extra shafts and flights as the additional shafts may not hold the flights accurately.